Awareness heightened after recent incidents on TTC

UPDATED: November 18, 2014, 9:35 PM ET

TORONTO [Peter Paul Media] — TTC commuters were alarmed Monday after a rash of safety incidents involving the transit commission, calling into question the safety of its over two million riders daily.

In the past week there has been an accident with five people suffering injuries, three sexual assaults and revelations that a third rail was accidentally activated while commuters were evacuating a stalled train between stations last week.

Police said Monday that a woman, after being sexually assaulted on the 100C Flemingdon Park bus on October 21, also observed two other alleged assaults take place. After being assaulted, the 31-year-old woman moved to another location on the bus and observed another woman being assaulted by the same man.

On November 21, the first woman observed another woman being assaulted on the same bus. Police believe there are more victims and urged them to come forward.

“This is absolutely crazy, I am alarmed that there are still women who just let things go and don’t call the police,” said Kathy Mackenzie at Union Station as she made her early-morning commute early Monday.

Hours earlier, a 38 Highland Creek bus slid off a road at a bus loop near Military Trail and Ellesmere Road, injuring 5 people—all with minor facial injuries. The bus driver was also injured, the Torstar News Service reported.

“The drivers have to be careful, its life and death out there,” Mackenzie said. “They [passengers] don’t have seat belts so you always have to brace yourself while on a bus or on the subway too.”

Last Monday, a TTC subway train near Museum Station became stalled between stations after a personal injury at a nearby station prompted a power cut on the tracks. A TTC patron uploaded a video via Twitter showing commuters exiting the train and walking along the tracks towards safety.

The Toronto Star found that a third rail was “prematurely restored” before commuters cleared the tunnel during the evacuation. The Globe and Mail later reported that top TTC management were not immediately aware of the incident, which stranded over 1,000 passengers for 56 minutes. TTC spokesman Brad Ross was quoted as saying that “It should never have happened.”

The rash of incidents began after a TTC bus collided with a Nissan Altima early last week, causing it to roll through an intersection and crash into a CIBC branch near Kipling Avenue and West Humber Blvd in Etrobicoke.

TTC CEO Andy Byford confirmed that the driver involved in the crash was ejected from his seat from the initial crash and was unable to regain control.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s